A Bushel of Brooks

A Bushel of Brooks
Us as we are ...

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Hummus

The last couple weeks I've been on a major hummus streak. It all started with a teenage girl party at our church to watch the movie Frozen ... and one of my girls brought a huge container of homemade hummus and veggies as her snack contribution. Um - that is ALL I practically ate that night!

It had been quite awhile since I've made any at home - but that inspired me to pick up some chickpeas the next grocery shopping trip to make some. And, then I needed to it again this week because I finished all that I made last week = ) So easy, and when I already have a big jar of tahini in the fridge, the rest of the ingredients cost very little and the result is making my lunch selection easy each day.

My sister-in-law gave me a basic recipe a couple years ago, and it is what I follow. Loosely. I never actually measure anything (gasp!), but just shake, pour, taste, and go from there. I have heard that rubbing all the skins off the canned chickpeas would give it an even silkier texture, but I haven't found the personal drive to do that, because I like it this way and it is FAST to make!


HUMMUS 
1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained well
3 T. olive oil
2 T. lemon juice
1 T. tahini
salt and pepper to taste
1 T. ground cumin
1 T. minced garlic (or to taste)
*Throw everything in a food processor and let it blend til mixed perfectly! You can always thin it out a bit more with extra lemon juice or even some water.

No comments:

Post a Comment